Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Canon XH A1s HDV Camcorder from 2008

Here is my latest camcorder which is going to be a replacement for my Sony HDR-FX1. Somebody wants to buy that one, and I've been looking for an improved prosumer camcorder with an A to D converter. I now had an excuse to buy a new prosumer cam! Why didn't I buy one of those new-fangled AVC cams??? I'll tell you: 1) AVCHD is HARD TO EDIT WITHOUT HUGE CONVERSION TIMES! 2) Intermediate files from AVC are HUGE and cannot be recreated without original file structure from the memory card 3) The quality is not as high as HDV 4) The HDV codec stands up better to post-processing and effects 5) HDV is a LOT faster to work with on the computer than native AVC 6) I backup everything to tape, so this is one less conversion step 7) HDV cannot be corrupted by camera or user error when recording to tape Clearly, there are many benefits to sticking with HDV. Don't jump into the AVC world until you know what's involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment